Desert Sky Astro Products
Quality Astronomical Accessories
DSV-3 ALTITUDE-AZIMUTH MOUNT
The DSV-3 is a premium medium size heavy duty Alt-Az mount, offering a sizeable load capacity in a
portable package. For the astronomer looking for a high quality Alt-Az mount capable of high power
tracking and capable of handling a variety of eyepieces and accessories, the DSV-3 is loaded with
features to provide the user maximum control and comfortable observing. Just check all that the
DSV-3 has to offer (mounts in pictures may be shown with optional upgrades):
Twin dovetail clamps (saddles)
• Enjoy side by side views of the same target through two different telescopes.
• Choose the side that best fits your scope and maximizes your comfort.
• Non-marring jaws hold your scopes securely and without scratching the dovetail bar.
• The dovetail clamps in the DSV-3 can be collimated so the 2 scopes point at the same object.
• Standard-sized dovetail clamps make it easy to swap your scope between an EQ mount and the
• Vixen-style dovetail clamps are included standard in the DSV-3 price, can be upgraded to
Losmandy/CGE-compatible at additional cost.
Geared lock-less slow motion controls
• High reduction ratio for precise motion control and high power tracking.
• No need to unlock/lock the axes every time you move the mount from one object to another.
• Full circle gears, no need to reset the mechanism.
• Large knurled knobs, easy grasp even when wearing gloves.
• Knobs are located on the front of the mount, within easy reach of the user.
• Spring loaded worm mechanism to minimize backslash.
• On-the-fly adjustable clutches to match the slow motion controls to the load on the mount.
Quick Balancing System (QBS)
• Complete balancing of the mount in both the front/back and up/down direction.
• Balance heavy accessories such as binoviewers, large EPs, etc
• Simply slide the balancing weight to compensate for the different EPs in your set.
• QBS can be installed on the right or left side dovetail clamp.
• Can be attached to your scope’s tube rings for double scope operation.
• Easy to see markers are provided to identify the balancing point of the different EPs in your set.
• Tool-less installation & setup
• Easy to remove for transportation or storage.
• Altitude brake for easy eyepiece changes.
• Bubble level for easy mount setup.
• Guiding handle included in the price, not an expensive add-on.
• Built-in column provides clearance for long optical tubes.
• Encoder system for use with (user supplied) Sky Commander DSC.
• JMI Train N' Track trainable drive system (motorized slow motion controls)
• Losmandy/CGE compatible saddles.
• Smartphone bracket
• White powdercoat finish instead of standard black
Optional Digital Tracking/GOTO System
The DSV-3 can be ordered witha digital tracking/GOTO system. The DSV-3 uses the proven Sidereal
Technologies (SiTech) Dual Servo Telescope Control 1 (DSTC-1) tracking system. The DSTC-1 is a
compact, lightweight telescope control computer that uses the mount encoders as well as servo
motors with encoders (not stepper motors) to accurately track celestial objects. It can be combined
with Digital Setting Circles (DSC) computers, such as the Sky Commander, Argo Navis or the Nexus
DSC to provide digital object finding and GOTO capability. Once aligned, you simply push-to, slew
(or GOTO if using with DSC) to the object you want to observe, and the tracking system
automatically tracks the object keeping it in the field of view. The combination of full balancing
capability, slip clutches, worm gear slow motions controls and available axis encoders allows the
DSV-3 to be used as a push-to mount, as you would with ordinary Alt-Az mount, and then have the
tracking system take over (or just hit a GOTO and let the motors do all the work!).
And unlike some other systems (some in mounts much more expensive that the DSV-3), the DSTC-1
does not need be to "trained" or have "tracking vectors" set for every object you want to observe.
Better yet, a tracking DSV-3 is less expensive that some competing mounts that don't have this
(Tracking GOTO system can also be retroffited to existing DSV-3 mounts, please email for details)
Top Notch Construction
• CNC machined from 6061 Aluminum. No castings or welded parts used.
• Massive ball bearings used in both axes for smooth motions and long term reliability.
• Custom Aluminum knobs, knurled for easy grip even when wearing gloves.
• Stainless Steel fasteners used throughout, for lasting good looks and corrosion resistance.
• Proudly made in the USA.
12-1/2" H (16-1/2" with DSC installed)
10-1/2" W (15" with QBS installed)
4" D (5-1/4" with encoders option installed)
• Weight: 12 lb 8 oz (standard head)
• Tripod fitting: your choice of 3/8-16, 1/2-13 or 5/8-11.
• Finish: satin black powder coat.
The DSV-3 is recommended for refractors up to 1000f/l, 20lb in weight, Schmidt-Cassegrains and
Maksutov-Cassegrains up to 28lb in weight. A properly sized tripod that can carry the combined
weight of the mount, the telescope(s) and accessories must be used.
• Mount head with standard saddles: $745.00 + Shipping Cost
• SiTech DSTC-1 tracking/GOTO system: Add $1400.00
• Encoder system for user-supplied DSC (includes DSC bracket): add $280.00 (7200 steps) or
$320.00 (10000 Steps)
• JMI Train N' Track trainable drive system: add $320.00
• Losmandy/CGE-compatible saddles upgrade: add $30.00 per side.
• Smartphone bracket: add $40.00
• Adapters for flexible slow motion cables (slow motion cables not included): add $30.00
• White powdercoat finish upgrade: add $40.00
• Heavy Duty Surveyor style tripod: $180.00 + shipping (click here for more details).
1625 E Villa Theresa Dr, Phoenix AZ 85022
Tel. (602) 550-4331